Tuesday, April 2, 2013

MEANINGFUL WEIRDNESS


We all have acted weirdly sometimes, haven’t we? The good news is that it’s never too late to rectify mistakes and make better choices. What happens, however, with our supposed “weirdness” later on in life? Does it simply disappear? I don’t think so. In fact, I believe it always stays with us. Could it be that that assumed “weirdness” is actually what makes us special, different from other people? If so, what can we do with it? I think one can use that weirdness to help, to hurt, or to hide. Out of their very exclusive and unique weirdness people may develop desires to either love, crush or be indifferent to those around them. But, who could really witness the pains, fears, other deeper issues bursting in their minds and hearts?
As a wonderfully weird singer says, “we all do what we can.” We are not to judge but to love. Very often, in my writing class, my students and I divide the whole group into four teams to debate a particular topic. So, each team gets to propose an argument, providing at least two good reasons in support of what they believe in relation to the given theme. I love that they don’t feel they have to think like I do. Because they are respected, not manipulated, they can flourish. Yes, sadly, my students, as each and every single person on the planet, will have to deal with tricky people, random individuals who will be willing to mislead them into believing what they want. Some may grow cold. Others, mad. But, many will remember where their true value comes from, as well as the priceless, exceptional meaning of their “weirdness.” I am sure these will have no need to defraud anybody, not even for the sake of Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment